1. Have you been in a depressed mood for most of the day, nearly every day for at least two weeks? Yes No
2. Have you lost interest or pleasure in most of the activities during the day, nearly every day for at least two weeks? Yes No
3. Have you experienced a significant weight change (at least five pounds), either a loss or gain, recently? Yes No
4. Has your appetite changed (increased or decreased) for an extended period? Yes No
5. Have you suffered from lack of sleep or too much sleep, nearly every day for at least two weeks? Yes No
6. Have you felt tired or experienced a loss of energy during the day, nearly every day for at least two weeks? Yes No
7. Have you had guilty feelings or feelings of worthlessness nearly every day for at least two weeks? Yes No
8. Have you had difficulty thinking, concentrating, or making decisions nearly every day? Yes No
9. Have you had recurrent thoughts of death or recurring thoughts of suicide without any specific plan? Yes No
10. Did the depressed mood begin after someone close to you died or within four weeks of giving birth? Yes No
a) Did you circle yes for either question 1 or 2? _________
b) Did you circle yes four or more times in questions 3 through 9? ___________
c) Did you answer yes to question 9? ____________
d) Did you answer yes to question 10? ____________
If you answered yes to both (a) and (b), you may be suffering from an episode of major depression and should seek professional treatment.
If you answered yes to (c), seek professional help as soon as possible.
If you answered yes to (d), and your symptoms are disabling and have lasted for more than two months, seek professional help immediately. Don't delay.
© Copyright 1995-2005 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved
This information is provided by the Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition. For additional health information, please contact the Center for Consumer Health Information at the Cleveland Clinic (216) 444-3771 or toll-free (800) 223-2273 extension 43771. If you prefer, you may visit www.clevelandclinic.org/health/ or www.clevelandclinicflorida.org. This document was last reviewed on: 8/22/2011