Health Horizons Student Criteria for Application
Applicants to the Health Horizons Program must be current participants in programming offered by Youth Opportunities Unlimited (Y.O.U.) and must have a recommendation from Y.O.U.'s program director to apply for this internship opportunity. For more information about Y.O.U., visit their website at http://www.youthopportunities.org/.
Student must have the following:
- A strong interest in science;
- Must be a current participant in programming offered by Youth Opportunities Unlimited (Y.O.U. Unlimited) and must have a recommendation from Y.O.U.’s program director;
- Must be 16 years of age by June 1, 2013;
- Must be entering 11th, or 12th grade in the fall of the 2013-2014 academic year;
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale;
- No more than 5 absences or tardies in the last semester of the previous school year, documented on transcript or by guidance counselor recommendation form;
- Attitude scores of 4’s and 5’s only, documented on the transcript or by guidance recommendation form.
The following is desirable but not required -
- At least one (1) year participatory experience in science research or responsibility for science fair project design and research.
- Volunteer experience in a hospital, nursing home, community based program or activity (can be part of a school organization project).
Students will be considered for the program upon review of application and supporting materials. Short listed candidates will be invited for a personal interview. Students will be finally admitted based upon a combined evaluation of their application and interview performances.