Applying for Aid

Financial Aid is renewable on a yearly basis. Application for renewal must be made each year, and the amount of the subsidized Federal Stafford loan may vary, depending upon your current financial situation. Awards may also be reviewed during the academic year if your financial circumstances change substantially. It is your obligation to report changes in your financial situation, whether of a positive or a negative nature, to the Financial Aid Office when they occur. You should anticipate an appropriate adjustment to your financial aid award. If a change in your circumstances warrants it, you might qualify for the subsidized Federal Stafford loan in future years even if you do not qualify this year. A change in your Award would only involve Federal Stafford loan eligibility. The full scholarship covering tuition and fees is renewable every year and is not based on your financial situation.

Incoming and continuing students will be able to access Financial Aid information and documents here as they are available, generally January through July of each year.

Application Procedures

It is important for your planning, as well as ours, that you submit all application materials promptly. Please refer to the Application Instructions for the deadline for receipt of application materials. It is your responsibility and not that of the Financial Aid Office to ensure timely completion. Failure to complete the application process by the deadline may cause a delay in receiving funds resulting in a late fee on your tuition bill.

All students applying for aid must submit the following:

 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid):

You must complete the FAFSA by the deadline noted on your cover letter as your financial aid award cannot be considered until your FAFSA information arrives. The FAFSA and its renewal can be completed on paper or on the web. The online processing time is approximately 2 weeks if you promptly complete all steps. You will need to indicate our Title IV Code: E00079 and Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 10900 Euclid Avenue T-303, Cleveland, OH 44106, so that we receive a copy of your FAFSA report. Be sure to get a confirmation number as proof of completion. After you receive the confirmation number, remember to print off and mail in a signature page.  If you are using the paper form, be sure to mail it directly to the Federal Student Aid Programs using the envelope provided.  File early enough to allow for the 3-4 week processing time.

 Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of CWRU Application for Financial Aid: 

All students applying for school aid must complete this form. Everyone who provides information on this application must also sign the application in the appropriate places (i.e. spouse, parents). When filling out your financial aid application make sure that the amount of resources is correct (resources are monies you have or you will receive from outside sources for the coming year). Your award is based on this information. You will find it helpful to refer to the school’s estimated student budget when filling out the expense portion. Your budget cannot be higher than the school budget. If additional funds are needed, you must submit this in writing to the Financial Aid Office.

 Copies of Student and Spouse’s Federal Income Tax Returns & W2’s:

A signed copy of your tax return including schedules and W2’s must be sent to the school every year.  If you are married, or plan to be by June 2010, you should also submit a signed copy of your spouse’s (or future spouse’s) tax forms.

All students have the possibility of having their data verified.
The Department of Education randomly selects a portion of FAFSA applications for a process called verification. If a student is so selected, he or she will receive a verification form from the Office of University Financial Aid. If you receive a verification form, please complete, sign, and return it with all documentation to our office. No federal financial assistance will be disbursed until the verification process is complete. The Financial Aid Office may require that any discrepancies be explained in writing.  Students will be notified via an amended award notice if any previous awards change as a result of this process.  Verification is also required of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) status of all non-U.S. citizens.